Monday, April 28, 2008

The Wright Moment

It's been a distracting few days as Rev. Wright has gone on his publicity campaign. For those of us who are emotionally invested in the candidacy of Senator Obama, it's also been unsettling. How will the media treat his statements? What clips will be excerpted and replayed?

I think the information is still being digested by the media; they're still in shock by the strategy of defense by offense. I suspect many are still trying to figure out how to absorb and regurgitate all this. I myself have been severely distracted from my own work--this most be how Senator Obama feels, trying to get the job done but there is this other character that's re-ordering the political space you occupy. Hmmh, I wonder if Jeremiah Wright is our modern trickster figure--the Ashanti Ananse, Yoruba Esu, or Native American Coyote--destabilizing in order to (ultimately) create balance. Anyway, as things settle down, I'll catch up on this topic. One thing I suspect is that the reception of these appearances is going to be like the O.J. Verdict--blacks will hear one thing, whites another.

No comments: